|Officers of the Students' Union|
|Vice-President Media & Communications
|Vice-President Education & Representation
|Vice-President Welfare & Societies
|Winchester Executive Officer
|Athletic Union Officer
|Equal Opportunities Officer
|Ethical & Environmental Officer
||George R Clegg
||John Mills FCCA
The members of the Union shall be the following, except those who have notified the University that they wish to opt out of membership:
- all registered full-time students of the University;
- such registered part-time students of the University as the Union in accordance with its Laws may admit to full membership;
- all other registered part-time students of the University wishing to become associate members on payment of the appropriate membership fee;
- all members of staff of the University wishing to become associate members on payment of the appropriate membership fee;
- such persons as the Union in accordance with its Laws may admit to either life or temporary membership on payment of the appropriate life or temporary membership fee;
- such persons as the Union in accordance with its Laws may elect as honorary members;
- such persons who already members of Students Unions in other institutions of higher or further education as the Union in accordance with its Laws may elect as external members.
Shall not imply reciprocation, although this may be included by mutual agreement with any of the organisations concerned, as decided by the Union.
Any person who has at some time held full membership of the Union, but no longer holds this membership, shall be eligible subject to any provisions of Standing Orders, for Life Membership of the Union on payment of the appropriate fee.
Honorary Life Member
This category of membership may be awarded to such persons as the Union decides.
This category of membership may be awarded to such persons as the Union decides as a recognition of outstanding service to the Union or its members.
Opting out of Membership
Under the terms of the Education Act l994, any student may exercise their right to opt out of membership of the Students' Union. At its meeting on 28 March 1995 the University's Council agreed a code of practice which sets out how all the requirements of the Act will be met, including making provision for opting out. At the beginning of each session students will automatically be registered as members of the Students' Union unless they inform the Director of Student Services in writing within four weeks of their initial enrolment or the start of their programme of study of their wish to opt out of membership.
A student who exercises his/her right to opt out should not be unfairly disadvantaged with regard to the provision of services (or otherwise) by reason of having done so. If a student believes that he/she has been unfairly disadvantaged, he/she may invoke the complaints procedures, as set out in the Standing Orders of the Students' Union. Copies of the Code of Practice regarding the requirements of the Education Act l994 are available for consultation in the Students' Union.
A student who opts out shall have no Union membership status whatsoever. However he/she shall be able to use the facilities provided by the Union as if he/she were an associate member, but will not be required to pay any fee.
These facilities shall include:
A student who decides to opt out of the Students' Union shall not be able to:
- licensed bars, shops, catering services, travel agency and other Union-run trading areas;
- sports facilities, common rooms and recreation areas, provided on Union premises;
- clubs, societies and sports (Athletic Union) clubs;
- the Student Advice and Information Centre, and other welfare related services.
Note: The Students' Union is currently not affiliated to the NUS and, therefore, none of its members is eligible for NUS cards or other NUS services.
- be involved in the government or administration of the Union;
- stand for election to any Union office;
- vote on any issue decided by the Union or participate in any Union elections;
- be represented by the Union in any matter;
- have his/her interests represented by the Union to the University, other student bodies, other organisations and persons, or members of the general public;
- be a member of the National Union of Students (NUS) or any other body to which the Union may from time to time be affiliated and/or represent the Students' Union on any other national body or organisation to which the Students' Union affiliates.
Students requiring further information about opting out may telephone the Head of Student Support on 023-80-599022. Requests to opt out should be sent on the attached form to reach the Head of Student Support within four weeks of the student's initial enrolment, or the start of the student's programme of study. The completed form must be accompanied by the student's current ID card; receipt of the form and card will be acknowledged and the student will be informed how to obtain a replacement card. No requests to opt out will be entertained until the existing ID card has been surrendered.